Sunday, November 4, 2007

Wêreldkampioene

Okay so I know that many of you think that I have died because it has been awhile since I have last wrote in this but I am alive! You should all be excited and I haven’t had any near death experiences. In fact I have had a great last couple of weeks except for the fact that I realized that I have about a month left which has been pretty depressing. I am sorry if this offends any of you but I am not ready to go home in fact I don’t want to go home just yet. I am having too much fun and I feel like I am finally getting everything together and now I have to go. So that has been wicked depressing but I am trying not to think about it and enjoy my last 26 days here.

Oh I got a tattoo...here is a picture:






Any way there is a few things that I wanted to tell you that I forgot to put in the last blog post. That week I went and got tested for HIV/AIDS. It was pretty neat I was negative so that is good. But they counsel you before and ask you questions and explain a lot about the disease. I already new what they told me from the peer education training but it was still nice to hear again. Then I got my finger pricked and they put a drop of blood on this pregnancy test looking thing and you had to wait outside until it was done. Then you had post counseling. When I was in the pre counseling I was basically told that I should go on birth control because if I get raped (which may happen according to this lady) then I will get pregnant and get AIDs, which would just be awful. That was a pretty interesting thing. Also when I was there I was asked if I was part of the CAN group which is like cancer association something because of my hair and I was like actually no I am not. So that is what I wanted to add in for the last blog.

Next I hope I remember all of this...but here goes. So that weekend I went to watch a rugby game (it was the Rugby World Cup) and I watched part of the England vs. France game which England won and the South Africa vs. Argentina game the next day and South Africa won which meant that they were in the finals! So that was very exacting. On Saturday the day of the World Cup Finals everyone was driving around with South African flags hanging out their windows and the springboks (there team) flags. IT was so neat there was such a sense of pride it kind of stinks that America isn’t like that instead we have baseball and football which isn’t like the whole country. But anyway that afternoon for the peer education group we had to cut up a bunch of answers to questions. Throughout the week there was a place where you could anonymously answer important questions and you would get a free piece of candy and a condom, which was kind of neat. But the questions were like "Have you ever been abused?" "Have you ever abused someone?" "How do you feel about interracial relationships?" "Could you ever be in one?" The answers were so interesting. It was eye opening although some people I think didn’t really think about the questions. So I cut up all the answers so that someone could arrange them in a display. My fingers were killing afterwards it was pretty intense. But that night was the world cup Championship! This was amazing. I went to a restaurant with a big screen TV with some of my South African friends and some Americans. You know what was strange. The waitress passed out a sheet of paper with the national anthem written on it, which I found very strange but I guess it is still fairly new. IT was so neat and they were all so nice and would explain things to me but the best part was.... SOUTH AFRICA WON!!! It was so cool so the title of my blog is world champions and that can be applied to the red sox as well! But anyway this was so neat so everyone was jumping around and singing and people were so happy. IT was what the country needed. After everyone went out to the street and was jumping on cars and just having a good time. There wasn’t any violence. But a police car came by and people jumped on it and shook it like all the other cars which surprised me because it is a police car but then again the police don’t really do much here. Here are some pictures that I stole from other people:

Chels and me i had issues keeping my eyes open

At the resturant

oh the national pride

in the streets



they were scrumming cars which is when you lock arms and push against the opponents(in this case the cars)


This was so much fun it was great. I am so happy i got to experience it it is one of the things that i have always wanted to experience like when the red sox won the world cup in 2004 (and no again in 2007) but it was so neat to be in South AFrica when they won the world cup it is something the country needed to the unemployment rate is 40% it is intense.

Here are some random pictures I took while studying outside. This campus is beautiful!




Okay what else what else. My weeks have been pretty uneventful. I just finished my last exam yesterday so I have been busy with my last weeks of classes and studying for finals and trying to firm everything up for the trip. In my jewelry class I made a ring but it is too small to fit my finger so that was kind of disappointing but it still looks gorgeous.

Oh we also had the end of the year dinner with everyone from AIFS. It was so nice the restaurant was wicked nice and we went to signal hill and had a toast with champagne. It is so sad I still cant get over it but here are some pictures from that.

This one is for trisa there was a cool runnings cafe in Cape Town and i totally went in. It was very neat.

Chels, Blake, Emily, Me Ximena (everyone who shaved their heads)

Emily, Chels, Me



Kylie, Rita, Trish


Chris, Katy, Rodger


Me and Katy

Everyone feeling Hestea's belly. She taught us some things about being pregnant and was so open about everything. She is an amazing woman.


Eric, Ximena, Peter
Kylie, me, Katy

This is not in order but one night we had a flat dinner where we had a bottle of wine and some pasta and we all helped cook it was so neat I am going to miss it.

Chels putting lotion on Jen's tattoo


Chels


Blake and Chels

Jen and me

Oh some thing random for mom. So Jen was like wow you have long arms and i was like I know they are monkey arms and she was like noo well lets see where my arms end on my legs and then she was like actually you do ;). I thought you may appreciate that.


Hmm what else I went out to dinner last night with some people from the peer education group which was really nice the food was good we ordered a bottle of wine (wow it sounds like I am an alcoholic but I am not I swear) and talked it was great after a stressful week. Then we went out to a bar that I went to one of the first weeks that I was here which was kind of strange just to think how things have changed. We had a slumber party out in the common room and watched Aladdin and the lion king it was great. WE are going to have another one tonight!

I also hung out with a south African and we went to this park and I got to see the national flower here which is so big it was gorgeous and there was supposedly tortoises there but I didn’t see any so I am not sure if I believe him.

Look I got another tattoo...



this ones for you mom

I was just kidding about the tattoo Blakelee drew it on my foot but I thought that some of you would believe that I did in fact get a tattoo because some of you think that I am going crazy but I am not I am just developing into more of myself.

Okay I think that is all. I am sure I forgot things but I will try to write them down so that I can post it later. I am leaving on my trip tomorrow so I wont be back for a couple of weeks and I may type up a post if I have time but the internet gets shut off the day after I get back so if I don’t then I will see you back in the US of A. I hope all is well.

No comments: