Sunday, February 10, 2008

There is a difference between living and existing

This week was the first week of classes so that was the biggest event for me. I am taking 7 courses so it will be a little more difficult than last semester but I am ready for that. Two of my courses are half in English and half in Afrikaans but all of the notes for both are available in English and one of my south African friends is in it so she helps me with anything important I miss I am just nervous for those days that she doesn’t go to class. Anyway the international courses I am taking are the wine course (yes I know again but you get a lot of free stuff and I don’t get credit for it anyway), sociology: political and cultural change in SA, and transitional justice. The mainstream courses that I am taking are conserving nature, human geography, geographical data collection and spatial analysis, geographic information systems. I picked up the data collection course because otherwise I wouldn’t have had class on Friday which is something that I could not handle so my schedule is fairly full just not so bad on Fridays. I am really enjoying the human geography course I kind of wish that I had discovered geography earlier because I think that I would not have had the same major but maybe there is a way that I can somehow incorporate all of it and it is still early I know. I also had some peer education stuff that I had to do because now there are only 3 weeks until the march...hopefully it all comes together.

Also this weekend we went to boulders beach and cape point/cape of good hope. It was absolutely beautiful this country is amazing. The penguins were pretty active as well like 3 walked right by me and I went in the ocean swimming and they were right near me. They weren’t molting this time so they looked less sick which was great. So that was basically my week in a brief recap. Basically I like classes so far and am excited for next week.

I just want to encourage everyone to realize how privileged we are and take advantage of that. Don’t just go through the motions. Live! You may be surprised what you find.

Oh and sorry about no pictures I have a few but my batteries died so maybe next week.


1 comment:

Nancy said...

How are your classes going? They all sound fascinating. Hope your organization for the March walk is also progressing nicely.