Sunday, March 2, 2008

Enjoying the experience

Okay so I apologize for being so bad about this blog so far this semester. I really am sorry I kind of had no motivation to because I had no pictures but now mom and dad sent me a battery charger so I can post pictures so thank you. I know that isn’t an excuse either but hey I am doing one right now. Here are some pictures of Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope and the penguins. Now you can see how this is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is amazing!














Boulder's Beach






Okay anyway. Since then I have been in classes, which are going well. I have more work than last semester because of the 4 mainstream courses. I really enjoy human geography so that is good. I just think it is interesting the different stages of population growth (which is what we are learning about now) and the concept that there are countries that are at zero population growth but with the amount of immigration one would not be able to tell. Nothing to exciting to report in classes yet. Just trying to get through. I have finals that are kind of spread out which is kind of disappointing because it cuts down the time for a trip at the end of the year. We were going to try and go to Lesotho and Swaziland hopefully there is enough time. We are also looking into things to do after the Garden Route and we have some ideas but I will let you know the plans later.

The March Campaign is coming along well. It should be if you think about it since it starts TOMORROW!!! Oh my I am nervous but excited for it to begin. I have been brushing up on my facts and bought the official T-shirt that we needed to buy as well as a green shirt for the March which is on Wednesday so if you are planning to be in the area then I think you should come. I hope that that is pulled off okay. We have had meetings and we have one more before the march. Tomorrow I am going to be working at the info stall distributing information and invites and seeing if we can get people to go for voluntary testing and counseling and I want to go get tested at some point. But I have been hanging up the posters and doing some of the small odd jobs so it will be rewarding when it is all done. So that is that. Wish me luck and "Grow up and get tested".

Some of the "fun" things/ non-school things that I have done are gone to a concert in Kirstenbosch Gardens, which is a beautiful garden in Cape Town. We saw the Rudiementas, which is a mix of reggae and ska. I really liked them and had a lot of fun. We had to bring a picnic and by far Katy's and mine was the best. We had a fruit salad, pita with hummus, pesto, feta tomato pasta and chocolate bar. It was wonderful. Here are some pictures.



the stage

Hestea's boy



Chels Dave and Me

the band

Chels Grand and me

Eric and Michelle

I have been watching some soccer games on TV as well as rugby. I went to watch a Maties rugby game, which they tied and they don’t tie, they always win but the coach put in the bad players in because they were up 31-10. I also watched a friend of mine play in the club team. I went to a soccer tournament for the school and watched a couple of my friends play in it. I have been to a couple of braais and went to see the movie the Golden Age. I think that is about it. I don’t really have many pictures because I just got the battery charger so I apologize. I did however take pictures of my room so here they are:

The view from my window

the kitchen

the kitchen

the bathroom

the shower (it is very small)

My bedroom

My bedroom

my room

my room is on the corner bottom floor

the building

I think that is all from the southern hemisphere where it is still nice and warm and shorts weather most of the time. I hope you all are serving with all the snow in the northeast and the general winter everywhere else. Stay well.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Thanks Ellen. Keep up the posts--we did miss them. And wow-your hair is getting long!!!