Wednesday, March 19, 2008

a bit of home here

So the March campaign is now over. The second week was great I had to work at the info stall, which was really nice to see everyone. I like to think that was a success. Nothing to exciting to report on with that. I had a few tests...this week a lot of work. Also a professor from my school came to visit to check out the program along with some other people from other schools. So on Wednesday I left for class at 8:40 and didn’t get home until 10:30 at night because I had class and didn’t have enough time to go home in between and then I had dinner with all of the school representatives to talk about the program. It was nice but it was a long day. I talked to Prof. Meila (from Assumption) and it was great to have a connection at school and that she could see what it was like here. Also Blakelee, my roommate from last semester, had someone from her school and he talked to me about the masters with the Peace Corps in it so that was cool to see what he said about it. On Friday I had to go to home affairs to get my study permit put in my passport. Hestea let us borrow her car and drive it to Paarl which is a half hour 45 minute drive so that was cool. I went with Katy, we only got lost once. But one bad thing about it was that there was a protest about the police brutality here which I am not sure if you guys heard about but apparently it was on CNN but the weekend before there was police raids on a few different bars and basically the police were insane with hitting people and being out of line. There are some videos on youtube. I wasn’t out but I wanted to participate in the march to the mayor. I did sign the petition but it conflicted with me going to get my study permit and I decided that that was more important. There were a lot of people who were going though. Also that night Prof. Meila took me and a few other people including those from my school out to dinner which was great just to talk and reflect on the whole experience. It was great and relaxing. Oh at the first dinner I tried sushi and it was delicious and then we went to this Indian food restaurant, which was wicked good as well. After dinner on Friday Richard, Blakelee's school person, took Chelsea, another roommate still here and me from last semester, out for drinks. It was nice to hear about here and catch up on things even though he didn’t know anything about me it was just kind of nice to have someone here from the US. So that was nice but it was a busy week. On Saturday I studied for a midterm and did lots of work. It was good because I felt that I had accomplished something but I didn’t leave my room once because of the amount of stuff that I had to do. On Sunday me and a few people went to Kirstenbosch gardens in Cape Town for a picnic and to watch a concert. It was really nice. The music was okay we saw Karen Zoid and Selaleo Selota. I liked the opener whish was Selaleo better but it was still nice to get away and see. Here are some pictures from that day.

Katy


Guniea Fowl


Louis and Bronwyn


my flip flop tan line (random pictures)

On Monday I went to class and then had an exam that night so I studied for that and really didn’t do too much else. Yesterday I had class ran some errands and tried to get a lot done. Then the peer eds had a get together to celebrate the March campaign but it turned out that not a lot of people showed up. Today I ran errands and got ready for the break, which starts tomorrow where we are going on the garden route and then renting a car and seeing where it takes us. I also bought 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of shorts for R180 which was like $25 so that was nice but not necessary. So that is what I have been up to. I hope you are all well.

Cheers.

No comments: