Tuesday, September 25, 2007

walvis

Walvis means whale which will make sense if you decide to continue to read. Okay, so this week was pretty boring compared to last week but here goes. Monday I had classes as normal. We started making a silver ring in jewelry class although yesterday I put it on my finger and I don’t think that it is going to fit but that is okay. Afrikaans was good I got my midterm back and I did well I think. I got an 80 I think but the grading system is much different here so I never know. But I think that is a low A. I am not really sure. It could be failing and I wouldn’t know. Biodiversity was good. I had my midterm in that on Thursday. But we switched prof. for this half of the semester on Monday and this guy has been instrumental in demeaning the flora in South Africa. He is a wicked important guy here, which is pretty crazy. Tuesday I just had one class and actually today I start my course for me second quarter, which is Introduction to the South African Wine Industry. I am pretty excited about it. We learn about how you make wine and some of the chemical stuff in the wine and the history. The rest of the week I had classes like normal. Wednesday we had a girls night in my flat, which was a nice break. My midterm on Thursday I think went well. We will see when I get the grade. Saturday I went to the Hermanus Whale Festival. It was very neat. I saw a couple of whales jumping in the ocean like jumping, like the whole body. It was pretty crazy. There was a market so it was basically a shopping day. I got some gifts for people. It was cold and rainy in the morning though so it wasn’t the best day to go but I am not complaining it was a free trip. I also found wicked good soft serve for R2.50, which makes me happy because it was at a chain store and there is one in Stellenbosch. Sunday was a me day it was my first day to sleep in in a long time. It was amazing and I took a nap and watched a movie and did some homework. It was a three-day weekend for National Braai Day/National Heritage Day. It was both. I went to Kayamandi where they were having a celebration of national Heritage Day. There were performers from their and some other townships. I learned that Kayamandi is the second oldest township in the western cape. These performers were amazing. They are so talented and boy can the dance and sing it was great. I also bought some things from the local stores, which is great because I am helping the community. It was great. I also hung out with a little boy and he took my camera and took some pictures for me. He was mentally challenged but loved looking at things through the camera screen. Here are some pictures:









this is the little boy who liked taking the pictures

I had class that night which was kind of stinky because I got invited to 3 braais and couldn’t make any of them but I chose to go to Kayamandi instead which was a good choice. And that was my week.

Stay well.

Ellen

No comments: