Tuesday, September 4, 2007

toets

Okay so I have decided to have each title to be in Afrikaans. This one means tests. I really didn’t do anything that exciting this week. So this will probably be a short one but in two weeks I will make up for it I promise. That one will be huge. So it is midterm 3 weeks for me. I had a paper due last week which was a final and another paper. This week I have a midterm and the week after break I have a midterm and a wicked important lab report due, it is due on the Monday we get back from break so I have to finish it before we leave on Friday. But anyway, on Monday the 2 exciting things that happened to me was while I was waiting for Jewelry Design class in the Neelise (the student center) I ran into Louw a boy that I met at the wine festival who lives in a town on the other side of the mountains. And he offered to bring Rita and I there one day for a hike and a braai while watching a rugby game. So hopefully that happens. Then when I went to Jewelry Design class we discovered that the gas in that building wasn’t working so we couldn’t do our work because we were soldering. So that was basically Monday. Tuesday hmmm one exciting thing. When I was biking to class right outside my dorm my shoe got caught in my bike and I did this crazy like tripping thing. I didn’t actually fall but it was hilarious. And there was definitely a car that witnessed it and was laughing. Here are some of the pictures of the bruises that I got (yes I know weird but they were wicked cool)

not so cool


very cool


I am fine. It only hurt when people like smacked it so I was the only one who would accidentally do this to myself. Wednesday was an ordinary day and same with Thursday. Sorry this week couldn't have been more exciting. Friday I had class. Then I had peer education training. It was great. The people there are amazing and I have learned so much. We talked about gender and protective behavior. Then I came home and did some homework. On Saturday we looked at how we would deal with certain situations that may occur like someone saying that HIV/AIDS was god's way of punishing people. Which I find totally ridiculous but everyone has the right to their own opinions. We also had a condom race between a few people to see how fast they could put a condom on, I am sorry if this is too much information but I am going to continue, Eric put the condom on my hands. However he was awful her didn’t get it over my pinky so we lost. But it was a cool kind of condom manufactured in Stellenbosch. You bend it up and then down and then pull it apart and put it over the penis and twist. It is wicked fast. Then we looked at behavior change and what one needs. That was basically it. That night some peer educators went out to 2 bars. So I joined and we got pizza and hung out and danced etc. We ran into Jaco, the person in charge, at one of them. I sokkied which is like a 2 step I guess with some boy there and one of the peer educators asked me to go to a colored club with her which would be wicked neat. It was great. Here are some pictures:

Bronwyn, Eric, Scott

me and Gatien (Big D is in the back giving me the bunny ears)

Bronwyn, Bernie


Sevia, Bibi


Daphnie, Bibi and one of their friends


Bernie and Bibi


Daphnie, Gatien, Bernie, bibi, Sevia


Sevia, Eric, Bernie, Bibi, me

The next day we talked about condom usage on campus and different statistics. Then watched a documentary, which was pretty sad and reinforced for me why I am doing this. Then had a reflection activity where we wrote what we don’t want to ever forget about this weekend. I said the people. And lit a candle and it was in the shape of a HIV/AIDs ribbon it was pretty touching. Then we had some pizza and I came back and did some homework. Then I went to Marcel’s, which is a frozen yogurt place and got some ice cream with some peer educators and Kylie and Katy who are from AIFS. I got hazelnut soft serve with fudge chunks like a blizzard and chocolate chips on top. This is a picture I took waiting for people to walk with. I can’t get over how beautiful the mountains are.

My dorm is the building on the left.

So yes that was my week. I hope all is well.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I like the idea of each title being in Afrikaans.
Sounds like you are really enjoying the AIDS training. Are you done with the training or is there more?
Glad you are ok after your biking accident (watch where you put your shoe!)
Enjoy midterm break.